November 15, 2005

The Royal Winter Fair IV

Well, no winter fair this year. It's the first time in years that I've missed it--too busy I guess.

As the bookend to my Royal posts, a final entry thanking Drazen, Smook, Justin and the Doodlers for also doing into the animal thing. And, although they're clothed, Uli Meyer too. And thanks to everyone who left comments--it's very stimulating, and I do hope for more.

Anyway, a year ago I was wrapped up in my little suburb project, so I didn't draw too many animals at the fair--instead, I took it as an opportunity to sketch people, as the weather outside had already become inhospitable. At the fair there's always a good mix--farmers in overalls, barreloads of kids visiting for school, the elderly (and myself) watching cooking demonstrations, and noisy suburban families at the superdogs! show; all terrific subjects for my story about the everyday. The most entertaining folks to watch, though, I'd have to say, are the multitude of kids at the petting zoo--most of which are trying to lift up little goats and carry them around. Poor things!









Oh, 2004. Carmine red on Chromacolour.
Maybe I'll make it for 2006? I guess we'll see.
Thanks for coming by y'all.